Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



BOSANQUET family.

This family is of Huguenot origin; its founder came to England from Lunel , near Montpellier , in 1685 . Success in business led to its establishment at Forest House , on the outskirts of Epping Forest . Its connection with the Welsh border dates from the purchase by SAMUEL BOSANQUET ( 1744 - 1806 ), governor of the Bank of England , in 1801 of Dingestow Court , near Monmouth .

His son, SAMUEL ( 1768 - 1843 ), made the court his chief seat and was sheriff of Monmouthshire in 1814 . The grandson SAMUEL RICHARD BOSANQUET ( 1800 - 1882 ) gave a long life to the service of the county, in which he became chairman of quarter sessions . Meanwhile, the link with Wales was drawn closer by the acquisition of valuable Welsh manuscripts, among them an early Welsh version of Geoffrey of Monmouth , which was edited by Professor Henry Lewis in 1942 under the title Brut Dingestow . The collection had been originally formed by Sir JOHN BERNARD BOSANQUET ( 1773 - 1847 ), judge and man of letters , but passed to his nephew; it was acquired in 1916 by the N.L.W.

One of the sons of S. R. Bosanquet ( 1800 - 1882 ) was Sir FREDERICK ALBERT BOSANQUET ( 1837 - 1923 ), judge of the Central Criminal Court from 1917 . A member of the Northumbrian branch of the family, which is seated at Rock , near Alnwick , viz. ROBERT CARR BOSANQUET ( 1871 - 1925 ), was a distinguished archaeologist and in that capacity was appointed in 1908 a member of the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments in Wales ; he served upon this body until his death and contributed many notices of Roman sites to the inventories which it issued.

Sources:

  • Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 1922-30 ;
  • NLW MSS 5261-75;
  • Bradney , A History of Monmouthshire . ii, 50-70.

Author:

Sir John Edward Lloyd, D.Litt., F.B.A., F.S.A. (1861-1947), Bangor

Published date: 1959