His career as a preacher started in his home church ( Tabernacle , Aberystwyth ) in 1848 . In 1850 he was admitted to membership of the South Wales Association and was its assistant secretary for two years. He was ordained at Llanelly in 1852 , and held temporary or fixed pastorates at the following: Newtown (English), 1850 , Alpha church , Builth ( 1851-3 ), and again ( 1856-8 ), Windsor Street , Liverpool ( 1853-6 ), Newtown ( 1858-9 ), New Jewin , London ( 1859-76 ); then, owing to ill health, he removed to Bangor , though retaining a connection with London until 1882 . He m. a Miss Cooper of Llangollen in 1857 .
He was closely connected with the educational activities of his church and especially with the training of its ministry. Having refused the principalship of Trevecka in 1863 and 1864 , and a tutorship at Bala in 1874 , at the end of 1888 he accepted appointment to Trevecka as principal after the death of William Howells (q.v.) ; a very successful tenure of the post was cut short by his death at Bangor , 26 Sept. 1891 .
Davies , despite chronic ill health, was an assiduous lecturer , writer , preacher , author , and teacher , who has many volumes of commentaries, articles, sermons, and lectures to his credit, among the best known being Yr Epistol at yr Effesiaid (two vols.), at y Rhufeiniaid , Epistolau Ioan , Salmau (selection), Darlithiau Athrofaol ar Ysbrydoliaeth y Beibl , Anerchiad ar Fedydd a Swper yr Arglwydd , Ymyl Ei Wisg (sermons), and Darlithiau ar Gristionogaeth , delivered during his memorable London pastorate, 1879-83 , and transcribed for Y Traethodydd ( 1881-4 ) by Sir E. Vincent Evans (q.v.) . He was a powerful thinker whose mind exhibited marked gifts of analysis and synthesis; an inspiring teacher who had long experience of Bible and theological classes; a profound preacher , not by nature eloquent, but for forty years his preaching in the Association meetings of his church made a strong appeal to thoughtful hearers of all ages.
Reverend Gwilym Arthur Edwards, M.A., D.D., (1881-1963), Oswestry
Published date: 1959