Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



DAVIES , JOHN DAVID ( 1831 - 1911 ), cleric and antiquary .

Born at Oxwich parsonage, Gower , 14 Jan. 1831 ; son of John Davies , rector of Reynoldston ( 1834-1873 ) and Louisa his wife. He entered Trinity College , Dublin , as a ‘ Rossall scholar ,’ 28 Oct. 1850 ; graduated B.A. 20 Feb. , taking the Divinity Testimonium , 24 March 1855 , and M.A. , 1859 ; was ordained deacon 23 Sept. 1855 , and licensed assistant curate of Nicholaston , and priest 21 Sept. 1856 . He was for a time chaplain to the earl of Milltown . He was instituted to the rectory of Llanmadoc , Gower , 28 June 1860 , and to that of Cheriton , 2 Aug. 1867 , both of which he held until his death. He carried out the restoration of both churches. His hobbies were wood-carving and antiquarian research . He was responsible for most of the carving in the churches of Llanrhidian , Llanmadoc , Llangennith , and Cheriton . He d., unmarried, 30 Sept. , and was buried at Cheriton 4 Oct. 1911 . His researches into the history of Gower were published in four volumes — A History of West Gower ( Swansea , 1877-94 ). He was also the author of A few words on Non-communicating attendance ( Swansea , 1879 ).

Sources:

  • Crockford's Clerical Directory ;
  • Burtchaell and Sadler , Alumni Dublinenses: a register of the students, graduates, professors and provosts of Trinity college in the University of Dublin (1593-1860) , London, 1924 .;
  • N.L.W. The Records of the Church in Wales at the National Library of Wales — Llandaff;
  • South Wales Daily News , 2 Oct. 1911 ;
  • 'The Historian of West Gower', Gower: The Journal of the Gower Society , VI, pp.7-9.

Author:

Evan David Jones, F.S.A., (1903-87), Aberystwyth

Published date: 1959