Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



DAVIES , WILLIAM EDWARDS (‘ W. E. Davies ’; 1851 - 1927 ), Cymmrodor and eisteddfodwr

; b. 8 Aug. 1851 at Dolgelley , the second son (by the first marriage) of William Davies , Wesleyan minister ( 1820 - 1875 ) (q.v.) . Nothing pleased him more than to sign his writings ‘ Ap yr Hen Wyliedydd .’ Most of his life was spent in London , and his love for Wales was born from his association with the Hon. Society of Cymmrodorion . He was a member of the society, became an officer (in due course), and was its devoted servant for the remainder of his life. He was a colleague of Sir Hugh Owen 's and it was through him that the latter carried out his work for Wales , as the correspondence (in the possession of the family) clearly shows. He wrote a memoir of Sir Hugh Owen , 1885 . In 1867 he was appointed to the staff of the North and South Wales Bank and worked for a time in Liverpool , Welshpool , and Llanrwst . He was accountant at the Caernarvon branch, 1875-8 , and was secretary of the national eisteddfod held there in 1877 . He was partly responsible for building the Caernarvon Pavilion . He wrote a history of the old Caernarvon eisteddfodau from 1821 to 1880 (see Cofnodion 1886 ). He was joint secretary with ( Sir ) Vincent Evans (q.v.) of the London eisteddfod , 1887 , and again with D. R. Hughes in 1909 . He lived at Beaumaris from 1891 to 1895 as manager of the Anglesey lime works . He took a prominent part in forming the National Eisteddfod Association and in reforming its mechanism; and it was he who signed every annual report from 1882 to 1886 and was responsible for the introductions. He d. at his home at Beckenham , Kent , 21 Jan. 1927 .

Sources:

  • Cofnodion Cymdeithas yr Eisteddfod Genedlaethol ;
  • The Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion , 1933-5 ;
  • Y Ddolen. Cylchgrawn misol, cyhoeddedig gan Undeb Cymdeithasau Diwylliadol a Chymdeithas Cymry Ieuainc Llundain , London, 1925-40 (London), 1927 .

Author:

Rev. Daniel Williams, (1878-1968), Llangollen

Published date: 1959