In 1787 dissension broke out in Glandŵr church, Pembs. , concerning both doctrine and discipline. Some were of the opinion that the minister , John Griffiths ( 1731 - 1811 ) (q.v.) , was too much of a Calvinist . Seventeen members who showed a tendency to Arminianism were excommunicated by Griffiths . Owen Davies considered the discipline inflicted too severe and indicated that he was prepared to take them into his church at Tre-lech . The congregation, however, opposed this, although there was never any suggestion that he himself was inclined to anti- Calvinist views. A few left the church with him and he preached to them at his own house at Dinas . In 1787 , when Rhyd-y-parc chapel was built, between Tre-lech and S. Clears , and about nine miles from the latter place, he took over the ministry there and remained there until his death, 6 July 1792 . The congregation gradually became Arians and then Unitarians . Towards the end of his life he showed a desire to heal the breach. He expressed a wish to be buried in the graveyard at Capel y Graig , and this was done although a grave had been opened for him at Rhyd-y-parc . A new chapel was erected at Rhyd-y-parc in 1860 when Titus Evans (q.v.) was minister , but the congregation diminished and it was closed in the nineties.
Rev. Professor John Oliver Stephens, M.A., B.D., (1880-1957), Carmarthen
Published date: 1959