Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



GRIFFITH , THOMAS TAYLOR ( 1795 - 1876 ), surgeon and antiquary .

Born at Wrexham , 11 Dec. 1795 , he was one of the eleven children (and the eldest son) of Thomas Griffith ( 1753 - 1846 , surgeon ), and great-grandson of John Griffith ( 1654 - 1698 ) or Siôn Gruffydd of Cae Cyriog , genealogist and herald , who d. 31 Oct. 1698 . The family of Cae Cyriog in the Hafod township, Ruabon , was there at least as early as the mid-15th cent. ( P. Fadog , ii, 184). His manuscripts descended to his great-grandson Thomas Taylor Griffith , and he exhibited them at the Cambrian Archaeological Association meeting at Wrexham in 1874 . They were later ( 1910 ), deposited at the National Library of Wales , and in 1923 became its property — N.L.W. MSS. 7006-10 . The most important of them is N.L.W. MSS. 7006 , the famous ‘ Black Book of Basingwerk ’ (see under Gutun Owain ). N.L.W. MSS. 7008 is Griffith 's collection of North Wales pedigrees.

Thomas Taylor Griffith was educated at Dr. Williams's school and the grammar school, Wrexham , and after apprenticeship to his father went to Guy's and S. Bartholomew's hospitals, then to Leeds under Hoy ( 1810 ), and to Paris under Puytryne , becoming M.R.C.S. in 1817 and an Hon. Fellow 1844 . He entered into partnership with his father at Wrexham ( c. 1820 ) and in 1826 set up on his own account, marrying in the same year the grand-daughter of William Robertson ( 1721 - 1793 ), the Scottish historian . In 1832 he attended princess Victoria on a visit to Wynnstay with the duchess of Kent .

He took a large part in setting up the North Wales branch of the British Medical Association , of which he was twice president , and in the founding ( 1832 ) of Wrexham infirmary , where his portrait is hung. He was active in supporting the incorporation of Wrexham ( 1849-57 ), endowing the new corporation with a special trust fund but declining to become its first mayor . He and his wife were among the pioneers of free education in the town, helping to found the Ragged School ( 1852-81 ), of which he was first treasurer . He d. 6 July 1876 .

Sources:

  • Wrexham Advertiser , 8 July 1876 ;
  • Archaeologia Cambrensis , 1876 , 234;
  • A. N. Palmer , History of the town of Wrexham its houses, streets, fields, and old families. being the fourth part of "A history of the town and parish of Wrexham" , Wrexham, 1893 , 18, 53, 86, 97-8, 110;
  • History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher, and the Ancient Nobility of Powys Fadog , ii, 184-7;
  • C. Dodd , Wrexham Schools and Scholars , Wrexham, 1924 (Wrexham, 1924 ), 15-18;
  • Border Counties Advertizer , Wrexham jubilee souvenir, 1907 ;
  • NLW MSS 7006-10.
  • Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales , 1940 ff , x, 230
  • N.W.L. W. Jnl. , v, 99.

Authors:

Emeritus Professor Arthur Herbert Dodd, M.A., (1891-1975), Bangor

Emeritus Professor Robert Thomas Jenkins, C.B.E., D.Litt., Ll.D., F.S.A., (1881-1969), Bangor

Published date: 1959