David Howell attracted the attention of John Griffiths ( 1820 - 1897 ) (q.v.) , then rector of S. Mary Hill , who persuaded him to go to the ‘ Eagle School ,’ Cowbridge . He then went to a tutorial school at Merthyr from which he proceeded to the Llandaff church training college at Abergavenny . He was ordained deacon in 1855 by the bishop of Llandaff , and priest in 1856 . From 1855 to 1859 he was a curate at Neath under his patron, by that time archdeacon Griffiths , and from 1857 to 1861 was secretary of the Church Pastoral Aid Society . He was appointed successively vicar of Pwllheli ( 1861 ), vicar of S. John's , Cardiff ( 1864 ), vicar of Wrexham ( 1875 ), and vicar of Gresford ( 1891 ). In 1877 he was given the degree of B.D. by the archbishop of Canterbury ; in 1885 he became prebendary of Garth Felyd and honorary canon of S. Asaph ; in 1889 he became archdeacon of Wrexham . In 1897 he was appointed dean of S. Davids .
In his younger days Llawdden , like his father, had turned out englynion and other poems. He became well known as a fluent eisteddfod orator , as a public lecturer , and as a preacher . He published a couple of pamphlets — Foreign missions, their progress during the reign of Queen Victoria … 1879 , and Welsh Nationality: an address delivered … before the Welsh National Society of Liverpool … Dec. 1st 1901 , 1902 — and articles in Y Cyfaill Eglwysig and other periodicals. His churchmanship was Evangelical — and Welsh-speaking. He d. at S. Davids , 15 Jan. 1903 , and a memorial tablet was erected to him in the cathedral.
David Gwenallt Jones, M.A., (1899-1968), Aberystwyth
Published date: 1959