He was allowed to select any suitable site, but after journeyings throughout the length and breadth of the land, he decided to settle in the Donetz basin , at a lonely spot on the Steppes ; but some distance away were the great iron-ore mines of Krivirog and the port of Taganrog . John Hughes formed the New Russia Company in 1869 and within a few years a large town was built for the workmen, which was called Hughesoffka after his name. He induced a considerable number of iron-workers from Merthyr , Dowlais , Rhymney , and Middlesbrough to accompany him. The works flourished and became the centre of the great industrial district of the Don Basin .
In 1889 John Hughes d., and his work was carried on by his four sons, the second son, Arthur , supervising the works at Hughesoffka ; it may be noted that he was m. to Augusta James of Llanover by the poet-preacher , William Thomas ( Islwyn , 1832 - 1878 , q.v.) . In 1917 , however, the Soviet Government took possession of industrial companies and so the New Russia Company came to an end and later the name Hughesoffka was changed to Stalino .
Mrs. Annie Gwenllian Jones, Barry
Published date: 1959