Joshua Hughes served as curate of Aberystwyth , then of Carmarthen , before being appointed vicar of Abergwili , 1838 . In 1845 , he became vicar of Llandovery . He was a diligent and faithful pastor , a pronounced Evangelical , and a great Welsh preacher , his power springing not so much from eloquence and oratory as from intense earnestness and conviction; he laboured tirelessly to further the cause of education — Church schools , Sunday schools , and higher education. In the controversy over Lampeter he favoured moving that college to Brecon to make it a college within a university of Wales .
In 1870 he was nominated by W. E. Gladstone to the see of S. Asaph . He was first Welsh bishop of the diocese since bishop John Wynne ( 1667 - 1743 ) (q.v.) left in 1727 . His appointment was at first criticized — Hughes not being a university man and his whole experience having been confined to Welsh parochial life. He was a great patriot , passionately devoted to Wales , her language, her people, and her spiritual well-being. He preached in Welsh at every opportunity and insisted on an adequate provision of Welsh services. The gentry were unsympathetic, for English influence had penetrated deeply.
Great progress marked his episcopate at S. Asaph . Many new Church schools were built, existing ones repaired, and their efficiency improved. New churches sprang up; provision was made for the supply and maintenance of bilingual clergy. The training of ordination candidates received close attention. The rural deaneries were increased from thirteen to sixteen. He instituted a diocesan board of education in 1870 , a Church extension society in 1871 , and a diocesan conference, 1878 . He cultivated friendliness with Nonconformists despite the bitter religious controversy of those days, and was universally beloved. He d. 21 Jan, 1889 and was buried at S. Asaph .
He m. Margaret , daughter of Sir Thomas McKenny , bart. There were seven children: T. McKenny Hughes (q.v.) , Joshua Pritchard Hughes , bishop of Llandaff (below), and five daughters. He published a number of visitation charges, sermons, and pamphlets .
His incumbency at Llantrisant (a parish which stretched from Miskin in the Vale almost as far as Pontypridd ) coincided with great industrial developments which transformed the character of the parish. He built seven churches ; the parish had twelve churches and eight assistant curates. His faithful ministry made him a familiar and deeply-loved figure among the expanding population. His innate Puritanism scorned the use of transport, involving labour for others, on the Lord's Day; his journeys on foot were often long and arduous. He was a convinced Evangelical and a man of deep personal piety. As bishop he commanded the respect and confidence of clergy and laity. He had little sympathy for Anglo-Catholics . A lifelong champion of temperance , he strove to discourage insobriety and gambling . To Nonconformists he showed much friendliness and understanding, and readily co-operated with them on issues of common concern.
Bishop William Thomas Havard, M.C., T.D., M.A., D.D., (1890-1956), Abergwili / St Davids
Published date: 1959