Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



JONES , JOHN HARRIS ( 1827 - 1885 ), Calvinistic Methodist minister and classical tutor at Trevecka College ;

b. 28 Aug. 1827 at Waunwthan in the parish of Llangeler, Carms. , son of John and Elizabeth Jones , Pen-y-banc , Clos-y-graig . When he was two years old his parents moved to his mother's old home, Pen-y-banc . He received his early education at a school held in Saron (Independent) chapel , Llangeler . When he was 12 years of age, he was sent for three years to Newcastle Emlyn , to a grammar school of some repute, kept by J. Davies ( 1795 - 1858 ) (q.v.) , a Unitarian minister . Then after a year at the Carmarthen (Academy) grammar school , he entered the Presbyterian Academy , Carmarthen , where he remained for five years. While there, he began to preach — he was then 17 years of age. In 1849 he won the Dr. Williams Scholarship — the first Welsh Calvinistic Methodist to win this scholarship — and proceeded to the University of Glasgow , where he graduated in 1852 and was awarded ‘ The Lord Jeffreys Gold Medal ’ as the most distinguished Greek scholar of his year. He then studied at the universities of Gottingen and Halle , and graduated Ph.D. of Halle . He was ordained in 1859 . From 1865 till his death he was classical tutor at Trevecka . He was moderator of the South Wales C.M. Association in 1879 . He was greatly loved by his students and was in great demand as a preacher . He d. at Southport 21 July 1885 and was buried at Clos-y-graig .

Sources:

  • E. Matthews and J. C. Jones , Cofiant y Parchedig J. Harris Jones, M . A., Ph.D. Trefeca , Llanelli, 1886 .

Author:

Rev. Principal William Philip Jones, M.A., B.D., (1879-1955), Talgarth

Published date: 1959