He played a prominent part in the life of the Welsh community in London and joined the Society of Gwyneddigion [ 1790 ]. He was its vice-president twice [ 1801 , 1813 ], its secretary four times, its official bard for five years, but refused to accept the presidency. He, Thomas Roberts of Llwyn'rhudol , and others founded the Society of Cymreigyddion in 1795 , and he also had a hand in resurrecting the Cymmrodorion Society in 1820 .
He was married in Bermondsey parish church to Jane Mondel of Whitehaven , 23 July 1816 . In 1818 he acquired the licence of ‘The King's Head’ tavern , Ludgate Street , and from that time until his death in 1821 his home was the regular resort of the London Welsh , although it is not officially recorded that the Gwyneddigion ever met at the ‘ King's Head ,’ and the Cymreigyddion only met there for three months [in 1818 ]. John Jones is now chiefly remembered because of his lampoons, some of which can be heard quoted in country districts to this day. He d. 21 May 1821 and was buried in the little church of S. Gregory , which has now become part of the cathedral of S. Paul's .
David Rowland Hughes, M.A., (1874-1953), Old Colwyn
Published date: 1959