He was a diligent researcher : he examined many parish registers and walked hundreds of miles to hunt out inscriptions on tombstones and in churches. He also visited libraries such as the one at Peniarth in order to copy the manuscripts and chronicles of different localities; many of these copies were made over to principal J. H. Davies of Aberystwyth and to Edward Breese of Portmadoc . Most of his manuscripts and collections of letters are in the N.L.W. at Aberystwyth . He rendered great help to Welsh scholars and men of letters towards the end of the 19th cent. and beginning of the 20th. He also contributed many valuable articles to the Brython ( Tremadoc ), 1858-63 ; Golud yr Oes , 1866 , etc.; Yr Haul , 1866-76 ; Y Drysorfa , 1885-90 ; Llais Rhyddid ; Cymru (O.M.E.) ; Y Llenor (O.M.E.); and Wales (O.M.E.).
He published the following books, mostly at his own expense: Golygawd o Ben Carreg yr Ymbill , 1858 ; Awdl Mynyddoedd Eryri , 1862 ; Bywyd a Gwaith Ieuan Lleyn , 1878 ; Adgof Uwch Anghof , 1883 ; Gwaith Owain Gruffydd , 1895 ; Cofiant Dewi Wyn , 1902 ; Gleanings from God's Acre , 1903 ; Cynfeirdd Lleyn , 1905 ; Gwerin Eiriau Sir Gaernarfon , 1907 ; Llen Gwerin Sir Gaernarfon , 1908 ; Gwaith Owain Lleyn , 1909 ; and Enwau Lleoedd Sir Gaernarfon , 1913 . In 1922 , after his death, his Enwogion Sir Gaernarfon was published. Towards the end of his life he was given a civil list pension as a tribute to his great contribution to Welsh literature. He d. at Chwilog 27 July 1921 at the age of 85 and was buried in Chwilog cemetery.
William Rowlands, M.A., Porthmadog
Published date: 1959