Owen Meyrick was succeeded by his son, OWEN MEYRICK II ( 1705 - 1770 ), who m. a wealthy heiress, the daughter of John Putland of London ; and by his grand-son, OWEN MEYRICK ( 1752 - 1825 ), who was equally fortunate in his marriage — to Clara , daughter and heiress of Richard Garth of Morden , Surrey . The estate acquired additional wealth through the marriage of the latter's daughter and co-heiress, Clara , to AUGUSTUS FULLER of Ashdowne House , Sussex . Their son, OWEN FULLER ( 1804 - 1876 ) adopted the name of Meyrick when he inherited the Bodorgan estate on the death of his grand-father.
In the course of time three other branches of the Meyricks were established: at Gwyddelwern, Mer. (see Meyrick , Edmund ), at Cefn Coch , Llanfechell , and at Monckton, Pembs. The strongest of these was the last (see next article) of which the founder was ROWLAND MEYRICK ( 1505 - 1566 ), second son of Meurig ap Llewelyn and brother of Richard Meyrick I . He was educated at S. Edward's Hall , Oxford , where he graduated B.C.L. in 1531 and D.C.L. in 1538 . He was principal of New Inn Hall , 1534-6 . In 1550 he became canon and chancellor of S. Davids and while there played a leading part in the fierce dispute between the chapter and the bishop , Robert Ferrar (q.v.) , concerning the income of the cathedral. When Mary Tudor came to the throne he was turned out of his canonry at S. Davids but, before long, the wheel of fortune turned once more and he was appointed bishop of Bangor in succession to William Glynn (q.v.) , 21 Dec. 1559 . He m., 1554 , Catherine , daughter of Owen Barrett of Gelliswic and Hasguard, Pembs. , and d. 24 Jan. 1565/6 , leaving four sons. Two of these, Sir Gelly Meyrick and Sir John Meyrick , are dealt with in the next article.
Emyr Gwynne Jones, M.A., (1911-72), Bangor
Published date: 1959