Joining the Society of Antiquaries in 1830 and becoming later a vice-president , Morgan was at the time of his death one of its oldest Fellows . He was a constant contributor to the publications of that Society (see Archaeologia , xxxiii, xxxiv, xxxvi), to Archaeologia Cambrensis , and to the Journal of the Royal Archaeological Institute . He was elected F.R.S. in 1832 . His name and that of Thomas Wakeman are thought of immediately in connection with the publications of the Monmouthshire and Caerleon Antiquarian Association (founded in 1847 ), both Morgan and Wakeman , severally or in conjunction, being responsible for most of those ‘Publications.’ The following titles give some idea of what Morgan himself published — ‘ Excavations … within the walls of Caerwent ,’ 1856 , ‘ Notice of a Tessellated Pavement … in the Churchyard, Caerleon ,’ 1866 , ‘ Some Account of the Ancient Monuments in the Priory Church, Abergavenny ,’ 1872 , ‘ Goldcliff and the Ancient Roman-Inscribed Stone found there ,’ 1882 . He was also an authority on clocks and watches , and made gifts of some examples to the national collections. There is evidence that he was well-acquainted with the Tredegar Park muniments . He lived at The Friars , Newport, Mon. , and d., unmarried, 5 Aug. 1888 .
Sir William Llewelyn Davies, M.A., LL.D., F.S.A. (1887-1952), Aberystwyth
Published date: 1959