John Parker had considerable alterations and restoration work carried out to his own designs and largely at his own expense to the churches at Llanmerewig and Llanyblodwel . To the former he added a tower and a porch, and to Llanyblodwel a tower; he also built a school and a schoolmaster's house in Llanyblodwel . He d. 31 Aug. 1860 , and was buried in Llanyblodwel churchyard. He had succeeded to the Sweeney Hall estate in 1854 on the death of his father (who was a designer of houses and a writer of books ), but as he himself died unmarried, the estate passed to his sister, Mary Parker , lady Leighton (see below).
Parker will be remembered as a remarkably prolific amateur artist , chiefly in water-colour. His principal interests appear to have been scenic effects and Gothic architecture. He visited the Snowdon district ten years in succession; he made drawings of all the rood screens in Welsh churches and of all the chief types of fonts . Over a thousand drawings by him are kept in the National Library of Wales . Besides the Welsh , English , and Irish views and sketches, there are drawings of details from churches in Europe ; he was also a competent flower painter . He had published, in 1831 , The Passengers: containing the Celtic Annals .
Sir William Llewelyn Davies, M.A., LL.D., F.S.A. (1887-1952), Aberystwyth
Published date: 1959