Dictionary of Welsh Biography



A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



PHILIPPS family, of Picton , Pembrokeshire . Sometime before 17 Oct. 1491 Sir THOMAS PHILIPPS of Kilsant, Carms. , married Joan Dwnn , daughter and heiress of Harry Dwnn (son of Owen Dwnn of Muddlescomb in Kidwelly and Katherine Wogan , second daughter of John Wogan and widow of Sir Henry Wogan ) and Margaret , daughter and co-heiress of Sir Henry Wogan of Wiston . The Kilsant ( Cilsant ) family claimed descent from Cadifor Fawr of Blaen Cych and Sir Aaron ap Rhys , crusader . Sir Thomas Philipps was the son of Phillip Philipps , son of Meredith Philipps of Cilsant . He was esquire to the body of Henry VII and was appointed one of the stewards and receiver of the lordships of Llanstephan and Oysterlowe on 16 May 1509 . On 7 Sept. 1509 he was appointed coroner and escheator of Pembrokeshire and the lordship of Haverfordwest . In the French war of 1513 he was captain of a retinue of a hundred men and in that year he was knighted . On 16 Oct. 1516 he became sheriff of Pembrokeshire and bailiff in eyre in the lordship of Haverfordwest . He was a patron of the bard Lewis Glyn Cothi . He d. before 8 Dec. 1520 when his son, JOHN PHILIPPS , server of the chamber , succeeded him in the offices of steward of Llanstephan and Oysterlowe and coroner and escheator of Pembrokeshire and the lordship of Haverfordwest . He m. Elizabeth , daughter of Sir William Griffith of Penrhyn .

At the time of his appointment on 10 April 1532 as one of the steward s and receiver s of the manors of Rice Griffith (see Rice family ), he was a steward of the king's chamber . He was sheriff of Pembrokeshire in 1542 . His son RICHARD (b. 1535 ) interested himself in Welsh literature (see Pen. MS. 155 ). He d. on the Thursday after the feast of S. Meugan 1551 (see Pen. MS. 176, 397 ; W. Wales Hist. Records , vii, 161-4) and was succeeded by his young son WILLIAM PHILIPPS whose wife was Janet Perrot , sister of Sir John Perrot . His daughters m. Alban Stepney and George Owen of Henllys . Member of Parliament for Pembrokeshire in 1559 and 1572 , he was the leader of a political faction in Pembrokeshire in opposition to the party of Sir John Perrot . He d. 14 March 1573 and his brother, MORGAN PHILIPPS (d. c. 1585 ), succeeded to his estates in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire . After the dissolution of his marriage to the wife of William Scourfield , Morgan Philipps m. Elizabeth , daughter of Richard Fletcher , registrar of Bangor . He was sheriff of Pembrokeshire in 1576 . His son, Sir JOHN PHILIPPS , who was created a baronet on 8 Nov. 1621 , m. (1) Anne , daughter of Sir John Perrot , who was the mother of all his children, (2) Margaret , daughter of Sir Thomas Dennys of Bicton , Devon . He was Member of Parliament for Pembrokeshire in 1597 and 1601 and promoted the Bill for including the lordship of Llandovery in Carmarthenshire ( Trans. Cymm. , 1942 , 13). He was sheriff of Pembrokeshire in 1595 and 1611 and of Carmarthenshire in 1623 . He sponsored the literary work of Robert Holland who dedicated his first book to his wife, Anne Philipps . He was captain of the trained bands of Dungleddy . He d. at Clog-y-fran , his Carmarthenshire home, on 27 March 1629 and was buried at Slebech . His son, Sir RICHARD PHILIPPS , m. (1) Elizabeth , daughter of Sir Erasmus Dryden , bart. , grandfather of the poet , and (2) Catherine , daughter of Daniel Oxenbridge , M.D. He took the side of Parliament in the Civil War and garrisoned Picton castle , which was taken by the Royalists on 30 April 1644 , when his children were imprisoned. He d. 1648 . The third baronet was his son, Sir ERAMUS PHILIPPS , who m. (1) lady Cicely Finch , daughter of Thomas , earl of Winchilsea , (2) Catherine , daughter and co-heir of Edward d'Arcy of Newhall , Derbyshire ; their daughter Margaret m. Griffith Jones of Llanddowror and another daughter, Elizabeth , m. John Shorter , a London merchant , whose daughter Katherine m. Sir Robert Walpole . His son, EDWARD (d. 1694 ), was sheriff of Pembrokeshire in 1691 . In politics Sir Erasmus followed in his father's footsteps and was Member of Parliament for Pembrokeshire in 1654-5 , and Jan.-April 1659 . He was sheriff for Pembrokeshire in 1656 , and was appointed a militia commissioner for South Wales 14 March 1654 . He d. 18 Jan. 1697 and was succeeded by Sir John Philipps . The 5th baronet , the latter's son, was Sir ERASMUS PHILIPPS , economic writer (see D.N.B. ). He matriculated at Pembroke College , Oxford , 4 Aug. 1720 , aged 20, and entered Lincoln's Inn on 7 Aug. 1721 . He was a member of the common council of Haverfordwest and represented the town in Parliament, 1726-43 . He was sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1727 . His four treatises on economics were published 1720-51 . He was drowned near Bath in Oct. 1743 . His brother, Sir JOHN PHILIPPS , the Jacobite , succeeded him. He matriculated from Pembroke College , Oxford , on 4 Aug. 1720 , aged 19, and was created D.C.L. on 12 April 1749 . Later he studied for the law. He m. Elizabeth , daughter of Henry Shepherd of London , on 22 Sept. 1725 . He was a staunch Tory , ‘a notorious Jacobite ’ (said Horace Walpole ), and a member of the Society of the Sea Serjeants . He was Member of Parliament for Carmarthenshire 1741-7 , Petersfield 1754-61 , and Pembrokeshire 1761-4 , and was made a privy councillor on 10 Jan. 1763 . In 1736 he became mayor of Haverfordwest where he was a councilman . He was also councilman and recorder of Carmarthen . He supported local education and founded scholarships at Pembroke College , Oxford , in 1749 . He d. 22 June 1764 . His brother, Sir RICHARD PHILIPPS , the 7th baronet , was created lord Milford in the Irish peerage on 22 July 1776 . He entered Pembroke College , Oxford , on 3 Feb. 1761 . He m. Elizabeth , daughter of James Philipps of Pentypark in 1764 . In politics a Tory , he was Member of Parliament for Pembrokeshire 1765-70 , 1786-1812 , Plymton 1774-9 , and Haverfordwest 1784-6 . He was appointed custos rotulorum for Haverfordwest in 1764 and lord-lieutenant in 1770 ; custos rotulorum and lord-lieutenant of Pembrokeshire in 1786 . He d. 28 Nov. 1823 without issue and the estate devolved on his cousin RICHARD BULKELEY PHILLIPPS GRANT ( 1801 - 1857 ) who assumed the surname Philipps and was created baron Milford of Picton castle in 1847 . He died without issue and his estates devolved upon his half-brother the Rev. JAMES HENRY ALEXANDER PHILIPPS (formerly Gwyther ) (d. 1875 ). He was succeeded by his son-in-law Sir CHARLES EDWARD GREGG PHILIPPS (formerly Fisher ) who was created a baronet in 1887 . This baronetcy and the Picton estate descended to his son Sir HENRY ERASMUS EDWARD PHILIPPS ( 1871 - 1938 ) and then to his son Sir JOHN ERASMUS GWYNNE ALEXANDER PHILIPPS ( 1915 - 1948 ). On the death of lord Milford in 1823 , the first baronetcy devolved upon his kinsman Sir Rowland Henry Philipps-Laugharne-Philipps .

Bibliography:

  • M. M. Philipps , The History of the Family of Philipps of Picton , London, 1906 ;
  • B. Ll. Morris (ed.), The Slebech Story , Haverfordwest, 1948 , 52-71;
  • Burke's … Peerage, Baronetage, and Knightage ;
  • James Allen , Notes on the Sheriffs of Pembrokeshire, 1541-1899 , Denbigh, 1900 ;
  • W. R. Williams , The History of the Parliamentary Representation of Wales , 1895 ;
  • West Wales Historical Records , 1910–29 , vii, 161-4;
  • Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII. Record Publication — Eliz. ;
  • A. L. Leach , History of the Civil War (1642-49) in Pembrokeshire and on its borders , London, 1937 ;
  • J. F. Rees , Studies in Welsh History collected papers, lectures and reviews , Cardiff, 1947 , 85;
  • Foster , Alumni Oxonienses ;
  • Picton Castle Manuscripts at the National Library of Wales (in N.L.W.).

Author:

Dr Bertie George Charles, Ph.D., (1908-2000), Aberystwyth