Dictionary of Welsh Biography

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

ROBERTS , EDWARD ( 1816 - 1887 ), Congregational minister ;

b. 7 Feb. 1816 in Brithdir , near Dolgelley, Mer. After he had received some education in local schools he was apprenticed as a carpenter , and afterwards followed that ‘occupation in Llanbryn-mair and Manchester ; at the latter place he came under the influence of some of the Welsh societies of the town. He returned to Brithdir in 1838 and started to preach soon afterwards. He went to the preparatory school kept at Marton , 1838-40 , being received into Brecon Congregational College in June 1840 ; here he showed that he was possessed of much knowledge and ability. He received many offers from churches, including one from the old-established church at Pencader, Carms. He was ordained at Seion , Cwmavon, Glam. , 24 Aug. 1844 , a church which he served with success for forty-three years. He took a leading part in the educational campaign of 1845-6 , being particularly active in denouncing what he considered to be the tricks and stratagems of the owners of the local works and others in regard to primary education. He was appointed as agent of the Normal College of Wales ; he was also invited to become the principal of the College at Brecon . He contributed six letters to the Morning Post , in which he advocated education and freedom. On the death of Evan Jones ( Ieuan Gwynedd , q.v.) in 1852 he was appointed as editor of Yr Adolygydd . An essay on Sir Robert Peel won for him a prize of £100. He d. 12 March 1887 .


  • J. Vyrnwy Morgan , Y Parch. Edward Roberts, Cwmafon (Llanelli, 1904) , 1904 ;
  • The Congregational Year Book , 1888 ;
  • Y Diwygiwr , 1887, 197-200 ;
  • Y Dysgedydd , 1887, 159-60 ;
  • Dyddiadur yr Annibynwyr (Dolgellau) , 1888 ;
  • Album Aberhonddu … o'r flwyddyn 1755 hyd 1880 (1898) , 126-8;
  • Y Tyst a'r Dydd (Dolgellau, Merthyr Tydfil, 1871-1891) , March 1887.


Reverend John Dyfnallt Owen, M.A., (1873-1956), Aberystwyth

Published date: 1959