Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



VAUGHAN family of Llwydiarth, Mont.

This well-known family was not of Montgomeryshire origin. The first member, Celynin ( fl. early 14th cent. ), is said to have fled from South Wales , after killing the mayor of Carmarthen ; his first wife, Gwladus , was heir of Llwydiarth and descended on both sides from the princes of Powys . GRUFFYDD , great-great-grandson of Celynin , was an adherent of Owain Glyn Dwr and received a pardon for this from Edward de Charleton , lord of Powys , dated 7 Henry V . The family is not mentioned by Lewis Glyn Cothi , and presumably was not powerful before Tudor times.

The Vaughans appear to have been constantly at feud with the Herberts , which may explain why they provided no members of parliament for Montgomeryshire , and only one sheriff , JOHN ab OWEN VAUGHAN (in 1583 ); he m. Dorothy , daughter of Howell Vaughan of Glan-llyn , and sister of John Vaughan , who was sheriff of Merioneth in 1594 . The son of the sheriff of Montgomeryshire , OWEN , m. Catherine , daughter of Morrice ap Robert , heir of Llangedwyn , by whom he had two sons, JOHN ( Inner Temple , 1606 ) and Sir ROBERT , who m. Catherine , daughter of William , 1st lord Powis .

The family became extinct in the male line with Sir Robert , and Llwydiarth and Llangedwyn were carried by his daughter Eleanor to her husband, John Purcell of Nantcribba , and by their daughter to her husband EDWARD VAUGHAN of Glan-llyn and Llwydiarth , sheriff of Montgomeryshire , 1688 , and Member of Parliament for the Montgomery boroughs , and subsequently for fifty-eight years for the county, and great-grandson of the sheriff for Merioneth of 1594 .

The combined estates of Llwydiarth , Llangedwyn , and Glan-llyn were again carried by Anne , daughter and heiress of Edward Vaughan , to her husband Sir Watkin Williams Wynn (see under Wynn family, Wynnstay ), 3rd bart. of Wynnstay , whose mother, Jane Thelwall , heir of Plas-y-ward , was herself fifth in descent from John Owen Vaughan of Llwydiarth (above).

In Mont. Coll. , xiv, is an illustrated article on the thirty armorial shields originally on the Vaughan pew in the church of Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa , Montgomeryshire , later transferred to Wynnstay chapel . The same volume also contains a drawing of Llwydiarth (now demolished), taken from the duke of Beaufort 's ‘ Progress ’ in 1684 [see Dinely ].

Sources:

  • Collections Historical and Archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire , v, 399; xiv, 355.

Author:

John Davies Knatchbull Lloyd, M.A., F.S.A., O.B.E., Montgomery

Published date: 1959