Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



WILLIAMS , JOHN ( 1854 - 1921 ), Calvinistic Methodist minister ;

b. at Cae'r-gors , Llandyfrydog ( Anglesey ), 24 Dec. 1854 ; his father, John Williams , hailed from the neighbourhood of Mynydd y Garn , and his mother, Jane Rowlands , from Cemaes . When he was nine, his parents removed to Beaumaris , and there ( 1871 ) he went to the grammar school kept first by John Evans and afterwards by Hugh Williams ( 1843 - 1911 ) (q.v.) . In 1873 he began preaching , and in 1875 went to Bala College under Dr. Lewis Edwards . Called in 1878 to the pastorate of Brynsiencyn , he quickly won a popularity as a preacher which he retained throughout his life. After becoming ( 1895 ) pastor of Prince's Road church in Liverpool , he m. ( 1899 ) Edith Mary Hughes ; they had a son and two daughters. Retiring from his pastorate in 1906 , he made his home at Llwyn Idris , Brynsiencyn , where he d. 1 Nov. 1921 ; he was buried at Llanfaes , near Beaumaris . He had a fine presence, a powerful voice, clear articulation, a rich vocabulary, a lively imagination, and incomparable eloquence. He was recognised as the greatest master of Welsh ‘classical’ pulpit oratory . In 1907 he was moderator of the North Wales Calvinistic Methodist Association , in 1913 of the Calvinistic Methodist General Assembly , and in 1921 Davies lecturer . He took an active part in promoting the formation of the Welsh division during the war of 1914-18 , and was its honorary chaplain . In 1917 he was given the honorary degree of D.D. by the University of Wales . There is a biography ( 1929 ) by R. R. Hughes , and two volumes of his sermons were published, 1922 and 1923 .

Sources:

  • R. R. Hughes , Y Parchedig John Williams, D.D., Brynsiencyn (Caernarfon, 1929) ;
  • personal knowledge.

Author:

Reverend John Edward Hughes, B.D., (1879-1959), Brynsiencyn

Published date: 1959