Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



DAVIES family, of Bersham , smiths .

HUW DAVIES , smith , was living at Groes-foel , Esclusham , in the 17th cent. He was buried in the churchyard at Wrexham , 2 Sept. 1702 . A handrail of exquisite design in the choir of Wrexham church and a small gate in Malpas churchyard (Ches.) are attributed to him. He and his wife, Eleanor , had four sons, ROBERT (d. 1748/9 ), JOHN (d. 1755 ), Huw , and Thomas , and six daughters ( Anne , Magdalen , Jane , Sarah , Elinor , and Margaret ). Robert and John became famous smiths . It is said that they were employed at one time at Drayton House , Northampton , under the direction of the renowned French smith , Jean Tijou , who worked for William III , and by Robert Bakewell of Derby . There is ample proof that they designed the gates of Chirk castle ( 1719-21 ), Wrexham church ( 1720 ), S. Peters , Ruthin ( 1727 ), and Oswestry church ( 1738 ). Other gates and screens attributed to them with certainty are at Plas Coed-llai , Mold ; Eaton Hall, Ches. ; Erddig Hall , Wrexham ; and Emral Hall , Bangor Iscoed ; and with a high degree of probability, gates at Castell Coch , Welshpool ; Abbey House , Shrewsbury ; Malpas church, Ches. ; Carden Hall , Malpas ; Plas Llan-rhudd ; and a number of others.

Sources:

  • M. Ayrton and A. Silcock , Wrought Iron and its Decorative Use , London, 1929 ( 1929 );
  • A. N. Palmer , History of the thirteen country townships of the old parish of Wrexham, and of the townships of Burras Riffri, Erlas, & Erddig Being the fifth and last part of "A history of the town and parish of Wrexham" , 1903 ( 1903 );
  • W. M. Myddelton , Chirk Castle accounts, (continued) A.D. 1666-1753 , Horncastle, 1931 ;
  • Bye–Gones, relating to Wales and the Border Counties ( 1898 ).

Author:

Iorwerth Cyfeiliog Peate, D.Sc., F.S.A., D.Litt., (1901-82), St Fagans / Llandaf

Published date: 1959