Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



DAVIES , ANNIE ( 1910 - 1970 ), better known as NAN , radio and television producer ;

b. 16 June 1910 , in Llwyngwinau House , Tregaron , third of the six children of David and Elizabeth Davies . The family kept a butcher's shop in Tregaron at the time, but when she was about a year old they moved to farm Cefngwyddil in the parish of Llanbadarn Odwyn , and in 1919 to farm Pontargamddwr in the parish of Caron-is-clawdd . She was educated at Castell Fflemish elementary school from 1915 to 1923 when she went to Tregaron county school . In 1929 she went to U.C.W. , Aberystwyth , and took her finals in history and Latin in June 1932 , but graduated in 1933 .

She was for a period on the staff of Cardiff city library before joining the B.B.C. in 1935 as secretary to Sam Jones . She assisted him in establishing the very fine tradition of Welsh radio broadcasting at Bangor . In 1946 she left the B.B.C. and returned to Cardiganshire as warden of the aelwydydd (youth clubs) of Urdd Gobaith Cymru in Tregaron and Pontrhydfendigaid . The following year she was appointed secretary of the Urdd 's monetary appeal , a year later head of the appeals department , and in 1949 head of the movement's programmes and planning department . A few months later she returned to Bangor as producer of radio talks , and in 1955 moved to the B.B.C. headquarters in Cardiff to the world of radio and later television.

In Cardiff she was responsible for editing the literary radio programme Llafar , and was the first producer (and later, editor ) of the television magazine programme Heddiw , the first television programme to discuss national and international matters in Welsh . In 1965 this programme won the Western Mail and Echo prize for the best programme of the year in Welsh . She visited the Welsh colony in Patagonia and produced the first film of that country ever seen on television. She was responsible for a large number of programmes such as ‘ Nant dialedd ’, ‘ Shepherd's calendar ’, ‘ Bugail Cwm Prysor ’ and ‘ Prynhawn o Fai ’. In 1969 she retired from the B.B.C. , returned to Tregaron where she bought a house called ‘ Monarch ’; she enjoyed only a few months' health there and d. aged 59 in Singleton hospital , Swansea , on 7 May 1970 . She was buried in the graveyard of Bwlchgwynt chapel , Tregaron , on May 11 .

Sources:

  • Personal knowledge, and details from her sister, Mrs. Jane Edwards , Ysbyty Ystwyth, and Oswyn Evans , Porthcawl.

Author:

Dr Owen Edwards, Cardiff

Published date: 2001