He received no higher education, but by cultivating himself he became an able musician and a diligent and successful researcher . In 1909 he formed a choir of 80 voices in Bethesda to perform with an orchestra some of the standard oratorios, and in 1921 Bethesda Choral Society was formed under his baton. He later conducted the Colwyn and District Choral Society ( 1929-36 ). He also took an interest in orchestral music ; he was a zealous member of the Roland Rogers ( DWB , 889-90) orchestra, and worked hard with the Gwynedd orchestra and Morfa Rhianedd youth orchestra .
Over a long period he was in demand as an adjudicator , a conductor at singing festivals , and a lecturer on musical topics . He also contributed regularly to Y Traethodydd , Y Goleuad , and Y Drysorfa , and wrote most of the articles about Welsh musicians in the Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940 . He was chosen to be musical editor of Trysorfa'r Plant when J.T. Rees (see below) d., and in 1951 was chairman of the Welsh Folk-song Society . He was mainly responsible for the annual selection of hymn-tunes for the Presbyterian singing festivals, and he served as secretary of the Presbyterian Church of Wales praise committee from its inception till 1958 . He did not compose much, apart from a few religious pieces for children and the solo ‘ Y Sipsi ’.
He began researching and writing about Welsh congregational singing about 1920 , and contributed articles on the topic to Y Cerddor , commencing with the July issue, 1931 . In response to an appeal by John Lloyd Williams (see below) he completed his researches to publish the results of his work as a book: Hanes Canu Cynulleidfaol Cymru ( 1948 ). In 1952 the University of Wales conferred upon him an honorary M.A. degree. He d. in his home in Old Colwyn , 21 Oct. 1958 , and was buried in Bronynant graveyard , Colwyn Bay . Some of his manuscripts are preserved in the library of the U.C.N.W. , Bangor .
Huw Williams, (1922-2002), Bangor / Prestatyn
Published date: 2001