He decided for reasons of health to emigrate to New Zealand and in the summer of 1901 he accepted a science post in Auckland grammar school . In 1905 he was appointed organiser of a scheme of night classes under the Christchurch Technical Association . He joined the Society of Friends in 1906 . He took a special interest in the education of women and in 1911 he established a hostel to train girls in domestic science and child welfare . Sir Ernest Shackleton contributed half the proceeds of a public lecture to create the nucleus of a fund for this work. In 1913 the governors of the Christchurch Technical College (which had developed out of his work with night schools to be the first of the higher technical schools of New Zealand in 1907 ), decided to send him on a tour of western Europe and America to study higher education, but the outbreak of war in 1914 intervened and he was able only to visit Britain and America . As an uncompromising pacifist the war period was very difficult for him and attempts were made to dismiss him in spite of the outstanding success of the college under his supervision. He had started with 56 students but by 1919 he had charge of over 600 full-time and 1300 part-time students. When attacks on his pacifism in Christchurch were at their peak he was pressed to accept the post of principal of a new technical college in Wellington . He accepted the challenge and within five years the building was completed. By the time of his retirement in 1931 the number of students had reached 1033. He was the designer and builder of the technical colleges of Christchurch and Wellington , and the continuing growth of institutions of technical education in New Zealand was the work of his colleagues and students.
He m. in Sept. 1894 Nellie Wheeler , a prominent figure in socialist circles at Bristol , who shared fully his own ideals. They had no children, and when he d. on 20 Jun. 1944 , he left a third of the residue of his estate to the U.C.W. , Aberystwyth in memory of the principal who had befriended him in 1889 .
He had two sisters, Esther Mary ( Ettie ) who was a deaconess in Dudley , 1897-1900 , Manchester and Salford , 1900-02 , and from 1902 to 1944 in the Whitefield Mission in Tottenham Court Road ; and Mary Emma , who was at one time governess in the family of Sir Richard Martin in Llansamlet , a nurse in Swansea hospital for a period from 1895 , and in military hospitals in South Africa , India and Egypt ; and matron of an infectious diseases hospital under the Egyptian government .
Evan David Jones, F.S.A., (1903-87), Aberystwyth
Published date: 2001