In Oct. 1931 he was elected an M.P. (National Liberal , one of the supporters of Sir John Simon in the House of Commons ) for the Swansea West constituency when he defeated H.W. Samuel ( Lab. ) (see below) . He continued to represent this division until July 1945 when, against all expectations, he was ousted by Percy Morris ( Lab. ) (see below) . He again stood in the same seat as a National Liberal and Conservative in the general election of Feb. 1950 , but was unsuccessful. In 1933 he was chosen as a member of the National Health Insurance Joint Committee , and he became a J.P. for the borough of Swansea in 1934 . He succeeded Clement Davies (see above) to serve as a Parliamentary Charity Commissioner between 1937 and 1945 . Jones also served from 1952 as a member of the General Advisory Council of the B.B.C. He published a large number of articles and papers on economic and industrial matters . He acted as the Senior Vice-President of the Council and Court of Governors of University College ; Swansea , and of the University of Wales , and he believed strongly in preserving the unified federal structure of the University. He was knighted in 1944 for his political and public work, and he was awarded the degree of LL.D. honoris causa by the University of Wales in 1954 . Lewis Jones was a native Welsh -speaker, and was one of the first members of Gwynfryn Independent chapel , Ammanford , when it was founded in 1903 . For many years he was a member of Swansea Cricket and Swansea Football Club .
He m. in 1911 Alice Maud , dau. of Frederick W. Willis of Bath . There were two sons. The younger was killed while on active service in India in 1947 . Sir Lewis Jones lived at Highfield , Sketty , Swansea , and d. 10 Dec. 1968 aged 84.
Dr John Graham Jones, Aberystwyth
Published date: 2001