In order to be close to his aged father, he returned to Wales in 1913 , joining the civil service and becoming the chief inspector of the Welsh office of the Board of Agriculture with its head office at Aberystwyth . In this post he pioneered and developed agricultural education for a quarter of a century ( 1913-38 ) and under his supervision the four agricultural institutions in Wales were launched. In 1918 he received an M.A. degree from his college in Oxford and in the same year he was awarded an M.Sc. (Wales) .
He retired from the Ministry of Agriculture in 1937 , aged 60 years. In 1938 he accepted, with some hesitation, an invitation to succeed Rev. J. Park(e) Davies ( DWB , 141) as the Principal of the Presbyterian College , Carmarthen . Although he had no theological qualification to teach there but having facility in Welsh and experience as a public speaker , he was, for a period of eight years, one of the most successful principals in the history of the college ( 1937-45 ). His students testified to his just discipline, his impartial thoroughness and gentlemanly and unassuming manner. He had great dreams for the future of the college at Carmarthen , but circumstances prevented him from realising them: he tried to combine the ample resources of the Unitarian colleges in England ( Oxford and Manchester ) with those at Carmarthen . He prepared plans and collected more than £3500 to extend the college , including a residential hall and a chapel. He hoped to see the development of the institution into a religious cultural centre for the ministers and laymen of Wales . He translated many of the Psalms , but they were not published. He was a Unitarian with ‘a strong tendency towards humanism’; he was faithful at the Unitarian churches at Aberystwyth and Carmarthen .
As can be seen from his only Welsh book, Helyntion hen bregethwr a'i gyfoedion ( 1940 ), based on the story of his father, he was an able photographer and writer . He contributed regularly to Welsh periodicals, e.g. ‘ Rhyddid ’ namely his presidential address to the Unitarian Society , in Yr Ymofynydd , July 1924 ; ‘ Dosbarth Cymraeg (Syr) John Morris Jones ’, in Y Geninen , 1917 ; ‘ Pren, ei nodweddion, etc ’, in Y Genhinen , 1954 . ‘ W.S. ’ and his wife retired to Landre , Aberystwyth . He died on 17 Oct. 1964 and his ashes were scattered on the family grave at Brondeifi graveyard , Lampeter . His wife died on 28 Jul. 1965 .
Dr David Elwyn James Davies, (1926-97), Swansea
Published date: 2001