Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



LEWIS , (FAMILY) of Llandysul, Cards. , printers and publishers ( Gwasg Gomer ). ( DWB , 1139-40) under LEWIS , John David ).



DAVID LEWIS ( 1890 - 1943 )

was the eldest s. of John David Lewis and Hannah , his wife; b. 18 Apr. 1890 , at Market Stores , Llandysul . He was educated at the local council and county schools, and was trained as a printer , at the Gomerian Press founded by his father, under the instruction of William John Jones , foreman printer at the press. After the death of his father in 1914 , the heavy responsibilities of managing the press and the associated bookshop fell on his shoulders, as his brothers Edward and Rhys were serving in the armed forces . He was director of the Gomerian Press for the remainder of his life. He took an active part in the life of the community, following his father as treasurer of Pen-y-bont (B) church . He was also secretary of the Baptist singing festival in the Llandysul district, and was the first treasurer and president of the Llandysul Cymmrodorion Soc. He represented the southern part of the Llandysul parish on the Cards. county council . He was made Justice of the Peace , member of the Teifiside board of guardians , member of the governing bodies of the Llandysul county school , the National Library of Wales and the national council of Undeb Cymru Fydd . He was a member of the Welsh Baptist Historical Society , and like his father deeply interested in local history . He m. Mary Anne Hughes (see below) 9 Jan. 1939 , and they lived at Dolanog , Llandysul . He d. 26 Aug. 1943 .

Author:



EDWARD LEWIS ( 1891 - 1965 ),

the second s. of John David Lewis ; b. 27 Aug. 1891 at Market Stores . Like his brother he was educated at the Llandysul council and county schools . Before World War I war he worked in his father's bookshop , and was later manager of the local labour exchange . Upon his brother's death he followed him as director of the Gomerian Press , county councillor , and treasurer of the Pen-y-bont Baptist church . He was treasurer of the Carmarthens. Baptist Association from 1955 . He was made Justice of the Peace in 1946 and was made O.B.E. in 1956 . In 1955 he was elected honorary member of the Gorsedd of Bards . He was president of the Llandysul Cymrodorion in 1938 , when a tablet was unveiled at the Tregroes school in memory of Christmas Evans ( DWB , 221-2) . He was a member of the governing body of the Llandysul and Newcastle Emlyn secondary schools . He was a member of the WJEC and of the court of governors of the National Museum of Wales . He took a keen interest in local history and in local cultural and religious movements. He m. Lena Harries of New Quay , 27 Aug. 1927 . He d. on Easter Sunday, 18 Apr. 1965 .

The two brothers, through the Gomerian Press , made a great contribution to Welsh literature and their firm became a major Welsh publisher. They subsequently took over Gwasg Aberystwyth and the Caxton Press ( Lampeter ).

Author:



MARY ANNE LEWIS (formerly HUGHES ; 1891 - 1960 ),

wife of David Lewis . She was the only dau. of Timothy and Hannah Hughes of Plasnewydd , Llanllwni, Carms. ; she had four brothers, John , William , David and Tim . ( John became a lecturer in education at Aberystwyth and held chairs in the same subject at the universities of Witwatersrand and McGill , Montreal , where he d. in July 1977 ). Mary was b. 5 Feb. 1891 and was educated at the Llanllwni elementary and the Llandysul county schools . She proceeded to the U.C.W. , Aberystwyth , and took a first-class honours degree in English in 1911 . She was vice-president of the Students’ Union . She held the posts of English mistress at Llandysul , 1912-18 , and a lectureship in English at the Swansea training college , 1918-38 . On 9 Jan. 1939 , she married David Lewis (see above). At school and college she was an influential teacher . At Swansea she developed into a skilful producer of drama , and took a prominent part in Swansea's dramatic society . When she settled at Dolanog , Llandysul , she took great interest in the local dramatic society , and in the Cardigans. dramatic society . She adjudicated dramatic performances and compositions at national eisteddfodau . She translated The Poacher ( J.O. Francis , see above ) and Jane Wogan ( Florence Howell ) into Welsh . She d. 16 Mar. 1960 and was buried in Pen-y-bont Baptist church cemetery.

Author:

Sources:

  • Personal knowledge;
  • obituary notices in the local papers.

Author:

John Tysul Jones, M.A., (1902-86), Llandysul

Published date: 2001