He is remembered as the co- translator with T.P. Ellis ( DWB , 214-5) of The Mabinogion ( 1929 ) in two volumes. This was the second complete translation of the Mabinogion into English since Lady Charlotte Guest 's ( DWB , 322) version in 1838-49 ). Their translation was critically reviewed at the time by scholars such as W.J. Gruffydd (see above) and J. Lloyd-Jones (see below) but nevertheless it remained a useful work until the appearance in 1948 of a new translation by Gwyn Jones and Thomas Jones . He also published two school textbooks in Welsh entitled: Detholiad o draethodau llenyddol Dr. Lewis Edwards ( 1910 ) and Llyfr Darllen ac ysgrifennu ( 1913 ; a prizewinner at the national eisteddfod in Wrexham , 1912 ), as well as a textbook in Welsh for the use of Sunday schools , Yr Eglwys Apostolaidd: Cenhadon cyntaf Crist ( 1922 ). He supervized a number of editions of The official guide to the Deudraeth rural district . He took a special interest in local history and contributed between 1949-58 a number of articles on his beloved Ardudwy to the Jnl. of the Mer. Hist. and Record Soc . He also contributed to Y Bywgraffiadur Cymreig 1941-50 ( DWB ). He lectured widely to local W.E.A. classes and occasionally , after his retirement, at Coleg Harlech . He was a dedicated headmaster and a painstaking researcher in all he undertook. He also served on many different committees and cultural bodies in Merioneth including the education committee , the Eisteddfod Meirion committee and the county's Urdd Gobaith Cymru committee . He was amongst the founders of the county's Hist. and Record Soc. in 1939 and was made a vice-president . He was an elder in the Presb. Ch. of Wales consecutively at Talsarnau , Dolgellau and Llanbedr .
He m. 1925 Nancy Roden , Aberystwyth (d. 1980 ), and one dau. was born to them. He d. in Dolgellau 17 Jan. 1964 and was buried in St. Mihangel's churchyard , Llanfihangel-y-traethau .
Arwyn Lloyd Hughes, Llandaf
Published date: 2001