Early in 1889 the family moved from Pentre to live in Barry and the musician spent the rest of his life there. He showed a leaning towards music very early in life and played the organ in Penuel , Barry , when he was 9 years old. He was educated at Lewis' School , Pengam , and received lessons in music from J.E. Rees , Barry . After leaving school he went to work for a short while in his father's shop but his heart was not in his work. Whilst still a school pupil he was chosen to be accompanist for Barry District Glee Society and in 1900 he was accompanist for the Royal Welsh Choir at the Paris Exhibition . He sat the first Oxford music examinations and having attracted the attention of David Evans ( 1874 - 1948 ) he decided to study music with him at the University College in Cardiff , entering as a student in Jan. 1904 .
After completing his course he became organist of Trinity church (English Presb.) , Barry , for ten years, and from there he moved to Cathedral Road Church , Cardiff . In 1915 he joined the army , and was appointed a chaplain ; he suffered bitter experiences at Vimy Ridge , Oppy Wood and Cambrai . In 1920 he was appointed lecturer at the University College , Cardiff , and later professor (as successor to David Evans ( 1874 - 1948 ), a post he held till he retired in 1945 . He had graduated in music at Trinity College , Dublin , in 1921 , and gained his D.Mus. degree there in 1928 . He d. at his home in Barry , 30 June 1960 , and was buried in Merthyr Dyfan cemetery.
He did not write much music, but he composed a few short pieces such as the solos ‘ Dilys ’ and ‘ Alwen hoff ’, the madrigal ‘ Wele gawell baban glân ’, and part-song (SSA) ‘ Llyn y Fan ’, which are excellent examples of his style. His ‘ Arthur yn cyfodi ’ was performed during the Three Valleys Festival , 1936 and his ‘ Te Deum ’ for choir and orchestra was performed under his baton at Cardiff national eisteddfod , 1938 .
Huw Williams, (1922-2002), Bangor / Prestatyn
Published date: 2001