John Morgan was short in stature; a man, thorough in all his doings and meticulous regarding details, he demanded that all things should be seemly and in order, whether it was an ordinary service or a special occasion. He was an excellent administrator and abhorred disorder and slipshod ways in others. He could be a strict disciplinarian, like his father, but he could be gracious and merciful when the occasion arose. He regarded the office of bishop as a charge, and was unwilling to give way on matters of principle. In Brecon he fulfilled the office of dean as well as bishop and he laid sound foundations there for the cathedral ceremonies and music. At Llandaff , the administration of the diocese called for a strong arm and clear vision. War broke out soon after his appointment and the cathedral was ruined by enemy bombing. He was responsible for its re-building and subsequent re-consecration in the spring of 1957 .
He was an accomplished musician and could play the organ since his boyhood days in Llandudno . He was chairman of the Bangor Diocesan Music Committee and in 1934 he was elected chairman of the committee which brought out the Welsh hymnbook Emynau'r Eglwys . From 1939 he was also chairman of the Music sub-committee . The words edition was published in 1941 and the music edition in 1951 . During his term of office the Liturgical Commission was set up to revise the Book of Common Prayer .
His last public service was to consecrate G.O. Williams Bishop of Bangor at Llandaff on 1 May 1957 . He returned to hospital that evening.
A shy man, only his close friends knew that he was a good raconteur, an excellent mimic, with the ability to use the Caernarfon town dialect.
Mrs. Mary Gwendoline Ellis, M.A., Aberystwyth
Published date: 2001