He was created a baronet in 1919 and a baron in 1939 , the third of the family to be raised to the peerage within one generation, being a brother to John Wynford Philipps ( 1860 - 1938 ), 1st Viscount St. Davids and of Owen Cosby Philipps ( 1863 - 1937 ), Baron Kylsant . He was a generous benefactor , particularly of the University College of Wales , Aberystwyth , to which he donated sufficient funds in 1919 to found the Welsh Plant Breeding Station which became world-famous in the fields of breeding plants and of grassland science and which was in addition of untold benefit to the country's agriculture. He donated £10,000 initially to establish the research station, with £1,000 annually for the next ten years towards its maintainance. Also, in 1944 , he made provision for the payment of £800 annually for ten years to create The Milford Chair of Animal Health to conduct research which was closely allied to the work at the Plant Breeding Station . In recognition of his generosity the first laboratory to be built at the new centre at Gogerddan was named after him. The Lord Milford Plant Research Laboratory , when it was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1955 . Another important example of his benevolence was his provision of a hospital at Rookwood , Llandaff , for former members of the Armed Forces suffering from paralysis .
He was elected J.P. for Hampshire in 1910 , High Sheriff in 1915 and J.P. for Breconshire in 1918 . He was a member of Aberystwyth College Council , 1922-57 , and a life-governor , and in 1939 he recieved an hon. LL.D. degree of the University of Wales .
He took a keen interest in sport , especially in horse racing and in the work of organizing and managing races . He was elected a member of the influential Jockey Club , and he owned a number of horses which won him prizes. Later in life he transferred all these activities to the care of his third son, the Honourable John Perrot Philipps .
He m. in 1901 Ethel Georgina , J.P. , the only daughter of Benjamin Speke , rector of Dowlish Wake , Somerset . They had four sons and a daughter. He d. 7 Dec. 1962 , and was succeeded by his eldest son, the Honourable Wogan Philipps . His second son, the Honourable Richard Hanning Philipps , M.B.E. , J.P. , was Lord Lieutenant of Pembrokeshire 1958-74 and afterwards the first Lord Lieutenant of the new county of Dyfed .
David John Griffiths, Aberystwyth
Published date: 2001