He was known initially as a short-story writer . He won three crowns and 16 chairs in local and regional eisteddfodau , and first prize at the National Eisteddfod 28 times, mostly for essays and biographies, but the urge to include every detail stifled his literary skills, as in his essay on the history of the Welsh Language Society in 1952 . He contributed to the periodical press for over 50 years; see Glyn L. Jones , A bibliography of Cardiganshire 1600-1964 and the Supplement for a list of his articles in the Dysgedydd , Cymru , Genhinen , Ymofynnydd , etc. Other published work includes a one-act play, Y Canfasiwr , in Y Ford Gron , 5, no. 1, under the pseudonym J.C.M. Evans ; and The history of Ynysgau Church, Merthyr Tydfil ( c. 1958 ). He was a meticulous historian and about 50 volumes which were impeccably typed and neatly bound by him are preserved at the National Library of Wales ( NLW MSS 18628-18865; 18866 correspondence). They contain collections of hymns, biographies of hymnwriters, poets, preachers (and Congregational ministers of South Glamorgan to 1939 , in particular); and stories, history and notable figures of the Aeron valley , especially of Neuaddlwyd Academy . He also compiled indexes to Y Beirniad and the biographical dictionary of Josiah T. Jones ( 1867 ).
He m., Jan. 1924 , Annie Owen , Dyffryn , Rhydlewis, Cards. , who also gave valuable service to the church, and they had one son. He d. 17 June 1963 .
Dr Mary Auronwy James, Aberystwyth
Published date: 2001