Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



RUSSON , Sir WILLIAM CLAYTON ( 1895 - 1968 ), industrialist ;

b. 30 June 1895 , s. of William and Gertrude Emma (née James ) Russon , Selly Park , Warwickshire . His mother was Welsh but it is not known from what part of Wales she hailed. He was educated at the King Edward VI School , Birmingham and then he took an interest in radio and established a radio business of his own. He was an enthusiastic gardener and in 1932 he bought R. & G. Cuthbert of Waltham Cross , a company which specialised in growing and selling roses and other plants . By the start of World War II the company was also selling garden seeds and in 1940 moved to Dolgellau and then to Barmouth and finally, in 1942-43 , to Llangollen . He had by this time become fully involved in the life of Wales and in 1944 became the first chairman of the North Wales Industrial Society and its president in 1947 . He was High Sheriff of Merionethshire in 1947-48 and again in 1965-66 . He took a prominent part in the establishment of the Llangollen International Eisteddfod and was its first president in 1947 . He was chairman of the Committee for National Savings in Merionethshire from 1939-1947 and was honoured for this work by the award of an M.B.E. in 1946 and an O.B.E. in 1952 . In 1958 he was president of Gŵyl Gwerin Cymru and a member of the Empire and Commonwealth Games Committee and was that year knighted for his contribution to the public life of Wales . He served on the Council for Wales from 1949 to 1963 and was chairman of its panel for the promotion of tourism . He was a member of the Wales Development Corporation from 1958 to 1963 and a chairman of several seed companies and of the Phostrogen company in Corwen . From 1960 onwards he served as an officer of the Order of St. John , becoming Commander in 1962 and Knight in 1968 . He was also a Freeman of the City of London .

In 1931 he m. Gwladys Nellie , the daughter of Henry Markham of Dulwich and they made their home at Glanymawddach near Barmouth . He d. on 16 April 1968 and was buried at Caerdeon church cemetery .

Sources:

  • Details supplied by his widow.

Author:

David Brinley Clay Jones (1924-96), Chepstow

Published date: 2001