Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



THOMAS , JOHN LUTHER ( 1881 - 1970 ), minister (Congl.) ;

b. 23 Apr. 1881 in Bigyn Road , Llanelli, Carms. , son of Thomas and Ann Thomas . The family moved to Pontarddulais where he attended the local school before beginning to work in the tin industry . In 1894 he was received as a member of Hope church , where he was encouraged to enter the ministry. He attended the school of Watcyn Wyn ( Williams , Watkin Hezekiah , DWB , 1076) at Ammanford and Bala-Bangor College ( 1900-1903 ) before becoming minister of Seion , Conwy and Llandudno Junction ( 1903-21 ); Carmel , Tanygrisiau , Blaenau Ffestiniog ( 1921-30 ); Seion , Cwmafan ( 1930-45 ). He resigned because of his wife's illness and returned to Pontarddulais to his sisters at Gwynllys , Clayton Road , but he resumed his ministry, taking charge of the churches of Libanus , Cwmgwili and Llwyn-teg , Llan-non ( 1945-50 ) and Hendy , Capel Newydd , Pontarddulais ( 1950-58 ). Besides being noted for his clear preaching and his great pastoral labours, he worked diligently for the missionary society and edited the Welsh section of The London Missionary Society Chronicle ( 1927-40 ), and was author of the pamphlet Y bwlch lle bu'r Sul ( 1942 ) for the Council of the Lord's Day Observance Society . He was also the author of a number of books, including: Y byd a ddaw ( 1918 and 1920 ); Yr ynys aur ; Hanes Iesu Grist ( 1930 ); Dyn rhyfedd y groes ( 1947 ); and Iesu penwyn ( 1962 ). He wrote articles for Y Geiriadur Beiblaidd , Y Dysgedydd , Y Tyst , and other denominational periodicals. In 1921 he m. Anne Grace Williams , Conwy . Although his health was never robust, he had a long life. He d. 4 Feb. 1970 at his home, Lansdowne , Groves Ave. , Langland , Swansea and his body was cremated at Morriston .

Sources:

  • E. Lewis Evans , Eglwys Hope, Pontarddulais , Swansea, 1969 (1969) , 69-70;
  • The Biographical Index of W.W. Price, Aberdâr (at the National Library of Wales and Aberdare Public Library) .

Author:

Dr Mary Auronwy James, Aberystwyth

Published date: 2001