Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



WILLIAMS , HUGH DOUGLAS (‘ Brithdir ’; 1917 - 1969 ), teacher and artist ;

b. 7 June 1917 in 8 Albert Street , Upper Bangor, Caerns. , son of David Thomas Williams and Mary Jane (née Williams ) his wife, but was brought up in 4 Regent Street after the family moved there. He won a scholarship to Friars School when he was ten years old, and went from there to Manchester School of Art in 1936 , where he gained a teaching diploma in art in 1941 . He was president of the college Students Union , 1939-41 . From college he went to Whitefield Grammar School as temporary teacher , and then to Birkenhead Secondary School in 1944 and King George V School , Southport , in 1945 . He was appointed lecturer in art at Bangor Normal College in Apr. 1948 , eventually becoming principal lecturer and head of the Art department . He m. Mair Eiluned Williams in Treharris 21 Aug. 1945 , and they had two sons. He was a member of the Gorsedd of Bards and served for many years on the arts and crafts committee of the National Eisteddfod Council . Possibly his most important contribution to the Eisteddfod was to advocate to the local committee in Llanrwst in 1951 that they should prepare a separate pavilion for exhibiting the arts and crafts . With a few exceptions, that pavilion was used in every National Eisteddfod until 1975 . He also designed some of the chief trophies of the Eisteddfod and suggested that lectures on art and craft be held in the Literary Pavilion . He illustrated a number of children's books (e.g. Teulu'r cwpwrdd cornel by Alwyn Thomas ) and designed dust jackets for several other books. He d. 5 Nov. 1969 .

Sources:

  • Personal acquaintance;
  • information from his widow.
  • [A collection of his works is in N.L.W.]

Author:

Elis Gwyn Jones, ( -1999), Cricieth

Published date: 2001