Tom Nefyn spent a stormy period at Tumble . His sermons on social matters — wages, the state of the coalminers ' houses, &c. — drew much attention, and his ideas on the nature of the church and his doctrinal views were also rather new. Some of the leaders of South Carmarthenshire Presbytery doubted his orthodoxy and his case was brought before the South Wales Association . He insisted, from the floor of the meeting, that he be informed what were the doctrinal standards with which he was expected to conform. The case dragged on from one Association meeting to the next, and was given great publicity by the daily and weekly newspapers. Tom Nefyn himself published a lengthy manifesto (80 pp.) in 1928 , under the title Y Ffordd yr edrychaf ar bethau and at the Treherbert Association ( Apr. 1928 ) it was declared that his doctrinal views were at variance with not only the standards of the Connexion but also with the historical faith of the Christian church. He was asked to reconsider his position and conform with the standards of his Connexion or resign from the ministry. A number of prominent ministers and laymen of the Connexion appealed against the Association's decision, and a pamphlet of plea and protest was published under the names of five of the elders of Ebenezer . At the Nantgaredig Association ( Aug. 1928 ) it was decided that he was to be barred from undertaking any ministerial duties, in the hope that he would be led to reconsider his position and have his place as a minister restored. His ministry at Ebenezer terminated at the beginning of September. Ebenezer church was disestablished and a church was re-established there for those who conformed with the terms of the Connexion. His supporters in Tumble came together and obtained the financial assistance of the Society of Friends to build a ‘society house’ in the village. Llain-y-Delyn was opened at the end of Nov. 1929 , but his supporters were disappointed when Tom Nefyn decided, after a period of rest and contemplation at the Quakers' institution at Woodbrooke , Selly Oak , Birmingham , to be reinstated as a minister by his Connexion. He now felt ready to accept the ‘ Shorter Declaration on Faith and Practice ’ adopted by the Presbyterian Church of Wales and he was reinstated at the Porthcawl Association in Apr. 1931 . (See The Tom Nefyn Controversy , a pamphlet published by the Welsh Review Co. Ltd. , Tonmawr , Port Talbot ( c. 1929 ); Tom Nefyn-Williams , Yr Ymchwil ( 1949 ); and E. P. Jones , Llain-y-Delyn, Cymdeithas Gristnogol y Tymbl ( 1970 )). In 1932 Tom Nefyn was called to be pastor of Bethel church , Rhosesmor, Fl. , and he remained there until 1937 . Subsequently he moved to Gerlan, Caerns. ( 1937-46 ); he had charge of the churches of Tarsis and South Beach , Pwllheli ( 1946-49 ) and of the churches of Edern and Greigwen , Llyn ( 1949-58 ). All these years he evangelised in his own particular style. No-one was more effective than he as a missioner , not only in chapels but in village halls, hospitals and public houses and in the open-air at fairs, on street corners and along the highways. He evangelised as he went along his way, singing, preaching and counselling. It was not easy for anyone to work with him, since he insisted on having his own way; it could be said that he was a lonely man although he loved his fellow-men passionately. He contributed much to Y Goleuad . Like his father before him, he enjoyed writing poetry , and his poems appear in Yr Ymchwil and in weekly papers. He d. suddenly on Sunday night, 23 Nov. 1958 , after conducting a meeting in Rhydyclafdy chapel , and his remains were interred at Edern .
Reverend Gomer Morgan Roberts, M.A., (1904-93), Pont-rhyd-y-fen / St Dogmael's / Llandybïe
Published date: 2001