Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



JONES , EDWARD ( 1761 - 1836 ; DWB , 457).

See the full discussion, Edward Jones, Maes-y-Plwm , by J.E. Caerwyn Williams ( Denbigh , 1962 ).

Author:

Corrections and additions:

JONES , EDWARD ( 1761 - 1836 ), poet, farmer, and schoolmaster ;

b. at Tan-y-Waen , Prion , Llanrhaeadr Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbs. , 19 March 1761 , son of John Jones , farmer , and his wife, Ann , daughter of William Williams , Rhyd-y-Cilgwyn . When he was about a year old the family moved to Bryn-y-gwynt-isaf in the same parish. The father died when Edward was about 10 years old. He had little formal education, and that from Daniel Lloyd , Independent minister at Denbigh , but he did his utmost to improve his mind, and he interested himself in poetry from childhood. When he was about 22 years old he was for a short period at school at Chester . He m. Jane Pierce , Rhewl , on the last day of 1784 , and they lived for nine years at Bryn-y-gwynt , where four children were born to them. On Easter Tuesday 1787 he joined the Calvinistic Methodist Society which met in the parlour of Mrs. Ann Parry at Bryn Mulan . His wife d. in 1794 , and the following year he m. Margaret , daughter of John Roberts , Tŷ Mawr , Green , Denbigh , by whom he had thirteen children. About 1796 , they removed to Tŷ Newydd , Pont Ystrad , then to Pen-y-Banc , and from there to Maes-y-plwm , which has become linked with his name. He kept an English school for varying periods at Prion , and worked at times in the Liverpool Custom House . He took charge of the school at Denbigh for a short time after the death of Daniel Lloyd . In 1805 , he went to Chester to supervise the publication of the Welsh translation of Samuel Clarke 's Bible for J. Humphreys (q.v.) , Caerwys . His second wife d. in 1818 . In Jan. 1825 he made the Maes-y-plwm farm over to his son Edward , and went to Llyn-y-Pandy, Flints. , to keep school in a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. In 1829 , he again moved, to Cilcain , taking charge of a school , and d. there 27 Dec. 1836 . He was buried in Llanrhaeadr churchyard on 31 Dec .

A versatile personality and a poet of ability, characterized by his fondness for alliteration, Edward Jones left behind only a small body of poetry, mainly in the form of elegies, carols, and hymns. His first collection of hymns, printed at Denbigh , appeared in 1810 , and was reprinted in revised editions in 1820 and 1829 . In 1831 he published a satirical poem, Gwialen i gefn yr ynfyd , in answer to a book by Edward Jones ( 1782 - 1855 ) (q.v.) , Wesleyan minister at Llanidloes . His only eisteddfodic success was a prize for his poem ‘ Cân ar Ffolineb Swyngyfaredd ,’ at Welshpool , 1824 . His sons, John and Daniel , published the remains of his poetical works in their biography of him, 1839 . Though he left instructions for the destruction of all his unpublished poems, a manuscript which he began to write in 1789 , and in which his son, Daniel , schoolmaster at Cilcain , kept his diary, is at the National Library . At least three of his hymns have stood the test of time in Welsh congregational worship. Two of his sons followed their father as schoolmasters and afterwards became ministers . JOHN JONES ( 1787 - 1860 ) was Calvinistic Methodist minister at Runcorn , and Daniel Jones ( 1813 - 1846 ) is separately noticed.

Sources:

  • John Jones and Daniel Jones , Cofiant, y'nghyd â Gweddillion Caniadau, y Diweddar Edward Jones, o Faes y Plwm , Mold, 1839 , 1839 ;
  • NLW MS 599;
  • Y Drysorfa , 1860 , 322;
  • J. Thickens , Emynau a’u Hawduriaid , 1945 , 64-6.

Author:

Evan David Jones, F.S.A., (1903-87), Aberystwyth

Published date: 2001