John Jones held pastorates at Usk ( 1850-53 ), Corsham, Wilts. ( 1853-55 ), and Towcester, Northants. ( 1856-61 ). Late in 1861 he accepted the pastorate of Rock , vacant by his father's death in 1860 , but he lived in Kington until, in 1867 , a larger manse was built at Rock where until 1888 he lived with his second wife Anne (b. Rogers at Rotherhithe, Surrey , in 1825 ). He was instrumental in building chapels at Dolau , Llanfihangel Rhydithon , where he was pastor for 11 years, in 1870 , and at Llandrindod Wells , where his second wife died in 1890 at the house into which they had moved from Rock two years earlier. In 1891 he gave up the Rock and devoted the rest of his pastoral life to his chapel in Llandrindod , until old age forced him to retire in 1897 to a less active life, though he conducted a service at the Friends’ meeting house in Llandrindod within five weeks of his death on 1 March 1907 . He left one daughter, Mrs. Annie E. Skewis (d. 1910 ) and a son.
He travelled widely in Wales and in England to collect funds to clear the debts of the chapels which he had helped to build . In Wales and the Border he was known as Jones the Rock , and was described as ‘ the nonconformist bishop of Radnorshire .’ He published two slight volumes of sermons which are of no great merit. His only valuable written work was his History of the Baptists in Radnorshire on which he started before 1876 , but was unable to finish, owing to the pressure of pastoral work until 1895 . He relied on printed sources such as the works of Thomas Rees ( DWB , 830) and Joshua Thomas ( DWB , 956-7) for the early period, but for the period 1795 to 1895 he depended on his personal knowledge and on the reminiscences of his father and his own friends about the development of the Baptist cause in the county. Despite careless proof-reading and the lack of index the volume remains indispensable for students of the history of the Baptist cause in mid-Wales .
Reginald Campbell Burn Oliver (1908-93), Llandrindod
Published date: 2001