Dictionary of Welsh Biography

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z


Delete ‘his cousin’, and see Trans. Caerns. Hist. Soc. , XXVI, 52-71, for a full account by Thomas Parry .


Corrections and additions:

PRITCHARD , EVAN ( Ieuan Lleyn ; 1769 - 1832 ), poet .

His name sometimes occurs as Evan Richards , and his bardic name as Ieuan ap Rhisiart , Ifan Lleyn , and Bardd Bryncroes . He was the son of Richard Thomas , a stonemason , and Mary Charles , daughter of Siarl Marc (q.v.) , Tŷ-mawr , Bryncroes , one of the early Methodist preachers in Llŷn . Mary Charles was well known as a writer of verse . On his parents emigrating to America about 1795 , Pritchard made his home with his grandfather at Tŷ-mawr , and after his grandfather's death in May 1795 he continued to live at the same place with his uncle Lewis Charles . About this time he kept school at Llanddeiniolen . In 1800 he went to England as a customs officer , returning to Wales about 1812 . He m., in 1816 , his cousin, Mary Roberts of Hen-dy , Bryncroes , and had two sons and a daughter. After returning to Llŷn he was a schoolmaster in Bryncroes and adjoining parishes till his death on 14 Aug. 1832 . He was a frequent competitor at eisteddfodau , e.g. at Denbigh in 1792 on ‘ Cyflafan y Beirdd ,’ at Bala in 1793 on ‘ Tymhorau'r Flwyddyn ,’ and at Denbigh in 1828 on ‘ Gwledd Belsassar .’ On 16 Oct. 1799 he and Dafydd Ddu Eryri and Gutyn Peris were ordained bards of the province of Gwynedd by Iolo Morganwg . The first number of a periodical printed and published at Caernarvon and entitled Greal neu Eurgrawn appeared in Jan. 1800 , and judging by the poem by Dafydd Ddu Eryri printed at the beginning and the preface signed by Ieuan Lleyn , it would appear that these two were the editors , though this is not specifically stated. Only this one number was published, the reason for this probably being that Ieuan left for England about this time. A collection of his poetry under the title Caniadau Ieuan Lleyn , edited by Myrddin Fardd , was published at Pwllheli in 1878 . Some of his hymns are well known today. (See J. Thickens , Emynau a'u Hawduriaid , 75.)


  • W. O. Evans , ‘Beirdd a Llenorion Lleyn’ in Cyfansoddiadau Buddugol Eisteddfod Gadeiriol Sarn Meillteyrn, Awst 1883 (Sarn, 1884) , 104-13;
  • J. Jones (‘Myrddin Fardd’) Enwogion Sir Gaernarfon (1922)
  • 'Adgof uwch Anghof.' Llythyrau lluaws o Brif Enwogion Cymru (1883) , 19-20;
  • Additional Manuscript in the British Museum 15030 (150).


Sir Thomas Parry, D.Litt., (1904-85), Bangor / Aberystwyth

Published date: 2001