He played a leading part in the public life of Dolgellau and became the leading light of the Liberal Party in the town and surrounding area. He was the first President of the Merionethshire Liberal Association and supported the county's Liberal Members of Parliament, becoming a close friend of T. E. Ellis. He was the first Chairman of Merionethshire County Council on its formation in 1889; he also served as a Justice of the Peace and was chairman of Dolgellau water and gas companies. Jones fought to establish the free library which was opened in 1893. He was also medical adviser to local friendly societies.
Jones fought hard on behalf of education in the area. He played a leading role in the establishment of Dr Williams's School for girls, and served as chairman of governors. At the same time he gave enthusiastic support for the development of the Boys' Intermediate School at Dolgellau. He also supported the English Calvinistic Methodist cause founded in 1878.
Jones died on 5 February 1900, leaving a widow and seven children - six sons and one daughter. Two of his sons, Hugh and John, also served as doctors in Dolgellau.
Dr Rhidian Griffiths, Aberystwyth
Published date: 2012