He qualified as a solicitor in 1927, was appointed clerk to the Bangor magistrates in 1934 and town clerk of Bangor in 1939. Jones was a member of the Caernarfonshire County Council, 1945-69. He served as a member of the National Parks Commission, 1966-68, and of the Countryside Commission for Wales from 1968-71, and was a member of the court and council of the UCNW, Bangor from 1943, serving as treasurer from 1970, and then vice-president from 1977 until 1982. He published a large number of articles in the press in both Welsh and English.
He stood as the Labour candidate for Caernarfonshire in 1931 and 1935, Caernarfon District of Boroughs in 1945, before securing election as the Labour MP for Conway in 1950. Here he was defeated in 1951 and 1955. He was knighted in 1978, and was awarded the honoray degree of Ll.D. by the University of Wales in 1979.
Jones married in 1936 Dyddgu, the daughter of Revd. Dr E. Tegla Davies, and there were three children of the marriage, one son and two daughters. They lived at 23 Glyngarth Court, Glyngarth, Menai Bridge. He died 4 July 1989.
Dr John Graham Jones, Aberystwyth
Published date: 2011